Friday, May 27, 2011

Cowboy painting...


"He does not love you" my mom told me once ".He would be here if he did"

I am lying in bed -his bed- and Im fighting myself not to look at the clock, but it´s 4:00 a.m. because he is not here and everytime he leaves after spending the night with me it´s 4:00 a.m.
Where does he go so early? Does he leave at the same time even when I am not here?
I turn my face and search for the scent of water and salt his hair left on the pillow, then I cry for that scent reminds me of the sea and of tears.

It´s 5:00 a.m. and still I can´t sleep. It is as if I had to be waiting for him, hoping for him to come back with a smile on his face and tell me he went running or cooking or riding... anything, but he does not.

It´s 6:00 a.m. and the sun is rising in the sky. The empty side of the bed is no longer warm and my tears are dry by now. 
A beam of light slips through the blue window, he is not there and the only thing my tears allow me to see is his cowboy painting: cold and mocking -just like him- on his pale wall.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Simple, melancholic capture. The last sentence is very poignant.

Li said...

Nice flash, lots of back story hinted at, and a mystery as well.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

super lovely one.

the ending is perfect.
Cheers.
Thanks for the inspiration.

Michelle Wallace said...

A lovely piece of writing which allows for the reader's imagination to fill in the missing parts of this wistful story !
~MISH~
http://writer-in-transit.co.za/bluebell-sss-prompt-no-2-man-horse/

andymac89 said...

A brilliant and inventive use of the prompt.

Anonymous said...

Lu Ann

We written and I enjoyed reading.

Genebrother

WyomingDiva said...

Loved it - so few words painting such a big picture!

Lyn said...

She seems to know him so well, and yet she waits, and yet she cries, she knows where he goes..a sad tale, indeed.

Anonymous said...

"I turn my face and search for the scent of water and salt his hair left on the pillow," I love this line, it speaks volumes about longing and a sense of abandonment. Beautiful